For those of you using Microsoft’s Data Protection Manager and Exchange Server 2007 SP1 x64, you will definitely want to check out this blog entry. We followed the Microsoft guides for using DPM with Exchange Server 2007 SP1 x64, but the guides give you the wrong information and you end up with consistency errors like this one:
The replica of Storage group First Storage Group on mail.vanderburg.com is inconsistent with the protected data source. All protection activities for data source will fail until the replica is synchronized with consistency check. You can recover data from existing recovery points, but new recovery points cannot be created until the replica is consistent.
For SharePoint farm, recovery points will continue getting created with the databases that are consistent. To backup inconsistent databases, run a consistency check on the farm. (ID 3106)
Data consistency verification check failed for LOGS of Storage group First Storage Group on mail.vanderburg.com. (ID 30146 Details: Unknown error (0xfffhhc01) (0xFFFHHC01))
The error here hides the real problem. The Exchange Server 2007 SP1 x64 ESEUTIL.EXE is a 32-bit process and it failed because DPM mounts the log file volume within the System32 directory. On a 64-bit machine, SysWOW64 is where the mounts are located, but 32-bit processes use System32 instead of SysWOW64, which prevents them from viewing the mounted volumes in the SysWOW64 directory.
- Copy the Exchange Server 2007 SP1 x64 ESE.DLL and ESEUTIL.EXE 32-bit files directly from the protected Exchange server’s Exchsrvr\bin folder to C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin on the DPM2010 computer.
- Remove DPM\Bin from the Path variables.
- Reboot the DPM server.
- Delete the ESE.DLL file from DPM\Bin.
- Add DPM\Bin to the Path variables again.
- Move the ESEUTIL.EXE and ESE.DLL files to a new folder and link to them in the DPM\Bin folder
- Perform a consistency check on first storage group.