Are you ready for some great PC gaming? Bring your computer to VandyLAN 8 where we will game all day long and into the night. Come for the entire thing or just stay a while. Either way, you will have a great time. We will have the projector set up as a score board. Let me know what games you would like to play.
Things to bring with you to VandyLAN
1. Computer, Monitor and Keyboard for PCs or a Laptop
3. Ethernet cable (the longer the better)
4. Power Strip
5. Game media for games you want to play
Optional but recommended
1. Headset (Headphones and microphone so you can speak only to your teammates)
2. Blank CD/DVDs for burning games. We can share ISOs too so this is not a requirement but some prefer a real disk.
3. Gaming pads, controllers and/or joysticks
4. Mouse pad (provides comfort)
5. External hard drive for file sharing
I would like to play some freelancer at the LAN party. Freelancer is a game from Microsoft that was abandoned years ago after a long wait for a sequel that never arrived. The modding community has extended the game over the years and added much more to the world including many ships, systems, bases and other things. One of the best mods is called Discovery. Another great thing about playing freelancer is that it won’t cost you a dime.
Here is what you need to do to run the game and discovery
1. Install Freelancer (http://theisozone.com/downloads/pc/windows-games/freelancer/)
2. Install the Freelancer 1.1 update (http://www.microsoft.com/games/freelancer/)
3. Installed the Discovery 4.86 Exiles
Instead of setting up my own server, we will be using a server that already exists. I set up an account on this server already and I will get a ship. I will also earn some money so that I can give each player at the LAN party enough money for a ship. The name of the server is “Discovery Free Play Non-RP 24/7”. I talked to the owners and they are fine with all of us connecting for the LAN party and you are all free to join early too. See this page for information on all the ships you can fly. http://discoverygc.com/wiki/Ship_Portal
We will form up as teams and then fly to an empty area of space so that we can do some team battles. We can also do some cooperative activities. We will balance the teams based on the ships we have so that a few powerful ships do not dominate the battle.
This video gives you an idea how combat works in Freelancer with the Discovery mod.